Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Videogames: Gears of War

I purchased Gears of War last Wednesday but didn't get a chance to play until Friday night. Visually, it's fantastic. The audio kicks butt and the gameplay is very different.

I am used to First Person Shooters, starting with Doom and Marathon by Bungie (developers of Halo) on the Mac. This is a "third person shooter" and requires you to re-gear your brain a little bit. As one of the main engineers on the GoW development team, "Cliffy D" said, you can't do things on your own, you have to work with a team. Providing covering fire is more important than brazenly getting ahead of everyone else. Once your squad is killed, you're pretty much a goner too. I know because I've been slowly adapting from FPS to TPS the hard way.

All in all, GoW is a great "2nd year launch" title for the Xbox 360.

Next up, The Nintendo Wii.