Friday, March 23, 2007

Apple Extreme TV

Apple started shipping the Apple TV this week and while there is positive press about ease of setup, way-cool industrial design, there are the "but..." statements that are hanging large. One of then negative observations is that the Apple TV ships with only a 40GB hard drive.

The Apple TV is more of a staging area for your iTunes songs and videos. What size hard drive is in that unit won't affect things too much. Look for a higher capacity hard drive on your digital media server. The Apple TV is not a replacement for that.

Given this clarification, I think the Apple TV will be moved from my stand-by wishlist back to my first tier wish list, along with the new Airport Extreme.

I like what I see and read about the iPhone but I'm still iffy as to whether or not I will get one. The price tag isn't cheap and I tend to prefer Verizon over AT&T/Cingular. The only thing that works in AT&T's favor, to me, is the fact that they don't lock-down phones. The Motorola Q Smartphone, it not locked down like some of the other phones Verizon has.

June is still a long way off. We'll see what unfolds from Apple and AT&T.