Monday, April 04, 2005

First The 8-Track, Now Watches?

According to textually.org, watchmakers have said that cellphones are a threat to cheap watches.
'Youngsters don't have a watch anymore today. If they want to know the time, they look at their mobile, which never leaves them,' said Patrick Besnard, a representative for the French watchmaking industry at the fair.
So rather than lament the changing times, French watchmakers are suing cell service companies.
Besnard's committee of French watchmakers and jewellers launched legal action in February against a telephone operator's advertising campaign in France depicting watches and a grandfather clock tossed in a bin.
After all, if you can't beat them in the marketplace, draw the battle into court.

It's nice that I can still be considered a youngster. I haven't worn a watch since 1996 after reading an article in a computer magazine. The writer noted that with clocks on computers, VCRs, mobile phones (yes, I know I keep switching between calling them cell phones and mobile phones), in cars and on TV, why wear a watch? I'm guilty of using my mobile/cell phone as a watch.