Hill Street Blues has finally made it to DVD with the release of the first of six seasons last week.
So far, I've watched the first four episodes. Hill Street Blues was probably one of the finest television series ever and still holds up today. The only parts that look dated are the hairstyles (big 80s hairdos), eyeglasses (again, big was in) and the cars. The acting was brilliant and the scripts were superb.
I also bought the first season of The Rat Patrol. This series was only on TV for two years, 1966 through 1968. I watched it during 4th and 5th grade, while our family lived in Tempe, Arizona.
Also while living in Arizona, I would sneak out of my bedroom around 10 pm at night and watch reruns of The Wild, Wild West with Dad. The first season of that show will be released on DVD in June.
The final two seasons of M*A*S*H will be released on DVD this year (May and probably December).
With all these releases of old TV shows, it's no surprise that this segment of the DVD market is the most successful. Nostalgia always sells.
In my humble opinion, these are the best shows that have been on American TV:
M*A*S*H
Hill Street Blues
The Dick Van Dyke Show
Seinfeld
The Mary Tyler Moore Show