As I write this, I am listening to the second song, "Everything About It Is A Love Song," on Paul Simon's new album, Surprise. Definitely a well titled album given that it is not only a departure from work since Graceland but a completely sonic departure from anything he's done before.
Paul brought Brian Eno on board to help with the "Sonic Landscape" of the album. If you are familiar with Eno's producing on U2's "The Unforgettable Fire," "The Joshua Tree," "Achtung Baby," "Zooropa," "All That You Can't Leave Behind" and Peter Gabriel's "Us," then you have an idea of his atmospheric music.
The first song on Paul Simon's album is "How Can You Live In The Northeast?" I first heard this song two weeks ago on XM Radio. At first, I wondered if it was indeed Paul Simon that I was hearing because of the distorted electric guitar. What a departure for Paul.
What amazes me about Paul Simon, 65, is his complete willingness to change styles, adapt and change to what he is trying to accomplish musically at the moment. Even his mediocre albums are great. Paul Simon clearly remains one of the premeire American songwriters.
So give Surprise a listen. Be warned though, Art Garfunkel is not on this album and don't expect anything like the familiar Simon & Garfunkel tunes.