When I went to the doctor's office the other day, the first order of business, of course, was figuring out when I was going to pay my $10 co-pay fee (thankfully I have health insurance). I gave the receptionist my credit card. She said the doctor only took check or cash. Huh?
Since roughly 1996, the only time I've actually written a check has been to pay bills, the ones I don't already have set up to be automatically paid by the bank. And I am starting to warm to the idea of web banking and web bill pay.
In every day meanderings, I've always used cash or my credit card. In fact, I very rarely carry much by way of cash. The movie theatres either take credit cards or there's an ATM machine and my bank has one near the theatre anyway to help me avoid the ATM fee scam. McDonald's here even announced they are going to start accepting credit/debit cards.
I explained all this to the receptionist. It's 2005, the 21st century, my cell phone has the same density of my wallet (small wallet, see above), why can't I use a credit card? She wouldn't answer. I'm sure it's because they don't want to pay the fees involved with running credit/debit card transactions. But hey, it's 2005, the 21st century, my car can verbally tell me where to turn on the way to Cape May NJ.