And its by the hush, Me BoysMy background is South African (French, Dutch and a smattering of English). Dad and I believe our Smith surname comes from the Irish Smiths but that is speculative at this point. So really, there isn't too much of a need for me to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. And since the Hugenots were kicked out of France (with some moving down to South Africa), I'm not much for honoring Bastille Day. Nonetheless, I do wear green on St. Patrick's Day (helps that it's one of my favorite colors) as recognition for what the Irish have done for America.
And be sure to hold your noise
And listen to poor Paddy's sad narration
The Irish came to America for very much the same reason as the Hugenots went to South Africa: the potential for making a better living. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That sort of thing.
I was by hunger pressedThe Scots and Irish, along with Chinese, helped to build our rail and telegraph systems. Irish folk music has heavily influenced American folk music. There was also the Irish Brigade during the Civil War with men often times getting off the boat from Ireland and being mustered right away in to military service.
And by poverty distressed
So I took an oath to leave the Irish nation
But when we got to Yankee-LandThe song quoted above is called Paddy's Lamentation, which I first heard in the movie, Gangs of New York. Irish folk songs, like other types of songs, have several themes running throughout. Praising Ireland's beauty, poverty, some sense of defiance or perseverence.
They stuck a musket in me hands
Sayin' "Paddy, you must go and fight for Lincoln"
And here's you Boys, now take my adviceIn spite of that advice, most did stay and helped to make it great. I wear my green proudly, even though I'm South African (French, Dutch).
To Americay I'll have you not be goin'
For there's nothin' here but war
Where the murderin' cannons roar
And I wish I was back home
In dear old Ireland