I am normally not a huge science fiction fan but BSG is fantastic and, in the words of one reader at The Unofficial Apple Weblog, makes "Star Trek look like Sesame Street."
Another reader hit the nail on the head with this comment about the show:
Battlestar Galactica is one of the best shows on television. If you're staying away from it, because you are old enough to remember the campy 70's version, or because sci-fi is for kids, you are missing out! It's one of the best written shows I've seen since The West Wing!
It's more of a character driven drama, than a sci-fi show. It has more in common with Law and Order or ER, than Star Trek. Star Trek was a space opera. Law and Order is a Drama in a police setting. ER is a Drama in a hospital setting. Battlestar is just another Drama, but on a military space vessel, about real people dealing with survival.
It's got great actors like Edward James Olmos, and Mary McDonnel, and an amazingly talented young supporting cast.
I concur. It is set to be recorded automatically for me every Friday night on the SciFi Channel at 10pm.
Speaking of which, I need to ensure my DVR is set to record The Sopranos when it returns March 12, this Sunday, at 9pm. Welcome back Tony, nice to see ya!