Tuesday, April 11, 2006

I Didn't Say That Or It Was Out Of Context

I love it when politicians and celebrities blab and say something they really shouldn't have and then fall over themselves as they offer excuses whilst pulling that foot out of the mouth. Truly embarassing. Best example to date is when Michael Douglas said this to GQ magazine about Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's romance:
“leaving that beautiful woman (Jennifer Aniston) to go hold orphans for Angelina. I mean how long is that going to last?”
Now, of course, Douglas claims he never said that.
“I didn’t say it,” he told Entertainment Tonight. “I spent a number of hours in that interview, a lot of it on tape and when I asked the reporter … to play back the tape for me, I was told the tape was turned off, and it was something that was written down, and I just don’t buy that.”
Yeah, whatever. Take some lessons from Pat Robertson or any of our various elected officials like Hillary.

Whatever happened to the good old days when you got in front of a microphone and instinctively knew that certain statements or thoughts were simply not for public consumption?