Tuesday, April 04, 2006

State Of TV

Here's a run-down of what I think of the shows I watch on television (mostly on the weekend thanks to my lovely DVR):

ER - Stagnating. This show could go on and on but I think the scripts have been very lacking. I'm still trying to decide when this show "Jumped the Shark." Probably after George Clooney and Anthony Edwards left.

Law & Order - While still top notch, it's sister show, Special Victims Unit (SVU), has been getting better twists in the storyline. It's moving through the water nicely.

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit - Good scripts, great cast. Definitely on the quality level of Hill Street Blues.

The Office - Brilliant. It has been a long time since we've had a really good comedy on the level of Seinfeld, Friends, The Mary Tyler Moore Show or The Dick Van Dyke Show. Rarely have I seen a TV series where each episode is better than the previous one.

Battlestar Galactica - The season finale for season 2.5 really solidified this series as being one of the best things on TV right now. As I've said before, I'm not a huge Science Fiction fan but this series is more than SciFi, very character-driven, which is what I like.

McLeod's Daughters - This is one of the top-rated dramas in Australia, about two sisters who run a ranch in South Australia. An honor that is very much deserved. The ensemble cast is probably one of the best I've seen and the stories are very positive. Not the usual nastiness you'd see on a regular soap opera. What I also like is the fact that the ranch the show is filmed on is actually owned by the network. They have a real station hand managing all the animals that live on the property. The series has been broadcast here in the States on Women's Entertainment Network (WE). Unfortunately, WE has decided not to bring any new episodes to our side of the ocean, cancelling the show. Instead, they'd rather show stupid stuff like "Bridezilla" or John Edwards' psychic talk show. Hopefully another network will see that this is definitely quality TV and add McLeod's Daughters to their list.