My quest for an Xbox 360 continues although I think my search will slow down. The local Target got four in yesterday but shortly after their doors opened, they were sold out. If Hasbro tries to tell you that the latest Elmo doll is this season's hot toy, don't believe it.
On eBay, some guy was selling only the Xbox 360 box. That's right, someone bid $400 for the silly empty box.
After reading an online forum discussion where someone requested those lucky dogs who got an Xbox 360 to post the manufacture date on the back of their consoles, I'm convinced that Microsoft didn't necessarily artificially create a shortage. Owners posted dates anywhere between October 11, 2005 and November 17, 2005. The official US launch was November 22, 2005. So it seems the console went gold master very close to launch and production hasn't had a chance to really ramp up.
Then again, maybe I should be counting my blessings for not getting an Xbox 360 on November 22. I am leary of buying a product so soon into it's product life. All the manufacturing kinks still need to be worked out.
I think the launch has backfired for Microsoft. The Walmart here and some other stores have moved their Xbox 360 kiosks to the back of the store because they simply cannot get enough (or any) consoles to meet the demand. Receiving four in one week then nothing really doesn't help.