Other parts of the bill:
- Require paper receipts for votes.
- Authorize $500 million to help states make the changes in voting systems and equipment.
- Allow ex-felons to vote. [not sure if I agree with this but I think everyone agrees current felons should not be allowed to vote. --Roger]
- Require adoption of the changes in time for the 2006 election. [weren't the previous changes supposed to have been adopted by 2004? --Roger]
Clinton and Kerry have both said the bill has nothing to do with their own future campaigns nor an indictment on the 2004 election, Senator Barbara Boxer said this bill,
is meant to ensure the election debacle of 2000, and the serious election iregularities of 2004, never ever happen again.Personally, I thought there were more serious iregularities in the 2000 election, the exception being Washington State. But whatever. Barbara needs to get past this.
I'm all for a paid day off and being able to be like the Iraqies, dancing in the streets and waving an ink stained finger but I've never been denied the opportunity to vote on Election Day, nor do I know of anyone in this country who has. My employers have always allowed me to take time out of the day, without being docked against vacation or sick time, to go vote.
Won't a federal holiday encourage people to take an extended holiday instead? Will only government workers be the only ones allowed the day off? Maybe we should, as suggested at Outside The Beltway, move Election Day to Saturday or Sunday?
LINK