Monday, February 14, 2005

Why Should We Fear a National ID Card?

In the past, I listened to the conspiracy theorists and paranoids declaring that a national ID card would be a bad thing. But I never ever heard and sort of substantial evidence as to why other than the fear of big brother.

Well, really, what is the big deal? To be honest, what is the difference between a national ID card and your passport or the Social Security number that technically is not supposed to be used for ID purposes? What's the difference between a state drivers license and a national one? A state ID versus a national one?

A true national ID system would standardize what states have already been doing for a large number of years and possibly standardize the requirements for obtaining a drivers license.

At this point, I'm neither for or against but formulating my opinion.